The Omega 3 that uses synergy to go way beyond general health.
It is common knowledge that fatty fish is good for you. This is due in large part to the naturally occurring Omega 3 fatty acids that it contains. And while most people know that they should be getting more omega 3 in their diet, very few people understand just how important it is, not only their health, but to their results in the gym as well.
Omega 3’s play a very important roll in everything from aiding in fat loss to reducing your risk of cardio vascular disease. From ensuring proper neurological development and cognitive function to improving joint health and mobility.
When we set out to formulate MYOMEGA, we wanted to go beyond “basic” fish oil to create an ultra premium product that would enhance and build upon fish oils’ role as a health and wellness promoting staple, and deliver a true physique enhancing, anti-aging Omega 3 powerhouse.
Below we are going to break down each of the ingredients in MYOMEGA and talk about exactly why we used it, and what kind of benefits you can expect from it.
Omega 3 Fish Oil
(1080mg EPA and 720mg DHA)
Omega 3 fatty acids, along with Omega 6 fatty acids, are a class of essential fatty acids. They are considered essential as the body can not synthesize them and they must be obtained dietarily. In the typical western diet, omega 6 fatty acids are consumed in abundance through grains and plant based oils, especially in processed and packaged foods. Omega 3 fatty acids, found primarily in cold water fish, however, are not as commonly consumed. Because of this, supplementation of Omega 3 fatty acids can be highly beneficial.
Most fish oil supplements contain 300mg per capsule of combined EPA and DHA. MYOMEGA contains 600mg per cap, literally twice as much as the leading fish oil supplements.
Why Fish and not Flax?
There are three types of Omega 3 fatty acids: ALA (alpha linoleic acid), DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid).
It is important to distinguish between the three types of Omega 3 EFA, as EPA and DHA are found only in animal sources, while ALA is found abundantly in plant sources. While all three types of Omega 3 fatty acids have been shown to provide positive benefits, a large amount of research supporting the positive health benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids are specifically referencing EPA and or DHA.
It should also be noted that the body can actually synthesize DHA and EPA from ALA, however it does so very inefficiently, so the only way to truly get an optimal amount of EPA or DHA in your diet is through consumption of cold water fish or through supplementation.
*There are certain algae species that are a plant based marine source of Omega 3 DHA, however, since many positive effects are attributed to either EPA, or the combination of EPA and DHA, Myogenix uses both EPA and DHA in Myomega to ensure maximum health benefit.
What are the benefits of DHA and EPA Omega 3?
- EPA is responsible for the lions share of the anti-inflammatory benefits of Omega 3 supplementation. It accomplishes this through reducing the bodies production of D5D, the enzyme responsible for stimulating the production of Arachadonic Acid, a precursor that is necessary for the production of pro-inflammatory eicosanoids. To simplify, the more EPA in your diet, the lower your AA levels and the lower the inflammation.
- EPA has been shown to be especially effective in treating the symptoms of depression. So effective, in fact, that one study found to be as effective as a leading anti-depressant drug. 
- DHA can improve ocular health and protect your vision. DHA is a major structural component of the retina of the eye. Inadequate DHA consumption can lead to various vision problems including macular degeneration, one of the worlds leading causes of vision loss. 
- EPA and DHA can lower your risk of heart disease, the worlds leading cause of death. Decades ago researchers noticed that society with high fish consumption also had a very low incidence of heart disease. The increased consumption of EPA and DHA has been shown to increase cardiovascular health in a plethora of ways.
- 1. Reduce triglycerides up to 30%. 
- 2. Help prevent plaque build up on arterial walls. 
- 3. Increase “good” HDL cholesterol levels. 
- 4. Prevent blood clots by keeping platelets from clumping together. 
- 5. Naturally reduces blood pressure in people with high BP. 
- EPA and DHA are good for your skin. DHA plays an integral role in the health of cell membranes which make up a large part of your skin. Healthy cell membranes lead to healthy, soft and youthful looking skin with optimal elasticity. EPA also protects the skin from damage due to overexposure of sunlight. 
- EPA and DHA improve sleep quality. Low levels of DHA lead to low levels of the hormone melatonin which helps regulate sleep.  Studies have demonstrated a positive effect between fatty fish consumption and sleep quality and duration. 
- EPA and DHA boost your metabolism. Fish oil has been shown in multiple studies to increase basal metabolic rate between 3.8% to 14%. 3.8% may not seem like much, but over time this can be a very significant effect. In addition, not only did fish oil increase metabolic rate, but it also improved body composition. In other words fish oil increased lean muscle mass while reducing fat mass. 
More muscle, less fat, a healthier heart, better skin, improved sleep and better vision, the list of health benefits goes on and on, and the more research is conducted, the more evidence mounts as to the benefits of Omega 3 from fish.
(4mg, naturally sourced)
Astaxanthin is a carotenoid and powerful antioxidant that gives salmon its orange/ pink color. In nature, when consuming fatty fish like salmon, you would also be consuming Astaxanthin. Myogenix included Astaxanthin to the EPA and DHA in MYOMEGA to harness the potential synergistic effects between these two cold water superfoods.
Astaxanthin has been linked in numerous studies to:
- Powerful anti aging effects: In randomized trials Astaxanthin reduced c-reactive protein and other pro inflammatory markers. It mitigated oxidative damage and increased micro cerebral blood flow leading to potential improvements in neurological regenerative effects.
- Preventive effects of certain cancers: Astaxanthin was shown to have a growth inhibitory effect in breast cancer cell lines.
- Supports exercise performance: While more research is needed, at least one study shows that Astaxanthin increases fatty acid utilization for energy leading to increased endurance and work capacity. 
- Heart health: Improves vascular health by keeping arterial walls supple and flexible. 
- May prevent joint pain: Studies are mixed in this area with some studies contradicting each other, however the key may be a synergistic effect with Omega 3 intake.
- Improves male fertility: Again, more research Is needed in this area, however, at least one study showed that via it’s potent antioxidant activity, Astaxanthin was able to ameliorate damage form oxidative stress to the reproductive system and improve reproductive health leading to an improvement in fertility rates. 
Co enzyme Q10 is a substance that plays a critical role in energy production within your cells.
Many degenerative diseases like diabetes, heart disease and cancer have been linked to low levels of CoQ10. Researchers don’t know if low CoQ10 levels contribute to these conditions, or if these conditions cause low levels themselves.
Unfortunately, CoQ10 production has been found to decrease as you age, however you can effectively increase CoQ10 levels through foods and or supplementation.
Some of the scientifically validated benefits of CoQ10 supplementation include:
- Improves male and female reproductive health: Both male and female reproductive health are negatively impacted by oxidative tress. The antioxidant effects of CoQ10 have been found to have a protective effect, improving sperm quality and decreasing the decline in the number and quality of eggs in women.
- Help keep your skin young and prevent skin cancer: The skin is the largest organ in the body and is constantly exposed to damaging elements, both internal and external, that can contribute to aging via reduced skin moisture as well as tanning of the layers of the skin. Damage from both internal and external agents can be reduced by supplementation of CoQ10.  Further, CoQ10 has been shown to reverse oxidative damage from UV rays and reduce the depth of wrinkles. 
- May increase exercise performance: CoQ10 reduces oxidative stress and increases mitochondrial function which leads to improvements in exercise performance and a delay of fatigue. 
We formulated MYOMEGA to go way beyond the standard Omega 3 supplement. By using double the average dose of EPA and DHA, and fortification with astaxanthin as well as a high dose of CoQ10, we have formulated an Omega 3 supplement that supports not only better heart health, but better body composition, increased exercise performance, and healthier, younger looking skin.
It’s time to stop looking at Omega 3 as an afterthought. It’s time to make MYOMEGA a results driven staple in your supplement routine.